Copyright © undergroundkent.co.uk 2002-2012
These tunnels were constructed as an extension to the existing factory in 1941. Building above ground was considered imprudent due to the vulnerability of the Medway estuary to air attacks. The two tunnels that housed the factory workshop area were both 100m long, and were linked by four traversing tunnels of slightly shorter length.
The Shorts Brothers also constructed a large system of air raid shelter tunnels, which comprised of two main tunnels some 300m long, traversed by 14 smaller connecting tunnels. The shelter tunnel complex was connected to the factory complex via a single tunnel approximately 400m long.
Date Of Visit: 13/10/02
Other Sites in the Area:
Main entrance tunnel leading into the complex.
Factory passage, about 200ft long.
Factory passage leading into the air raid shelter.
Another part of the factory area.
A section of the 400 yard tunnel that leads into the air raid tunnels.
Some parts of the complex was used as workshops.
A secure section that become storage bays during the war.
One of the many passageways.
Most of the site is in a very bad condition.
A sign for the public when the shelter was in use.
A typical shelter junction.
A no smoking sign.
Ventilation within the factory complex.