Copyright © undergroundkent.co.uk 2002-2012
Constructed in the early 1860’s, Yaverland Battery is situated close to Sandown on the south of the Isle of Wight. It was originally armed with 8 x 7” RML guns and there is ample magazine provision at the battery. The entire battery was enclosed by a looped Carnot wall and two caponiers projected into the ditch. To the rear of the battery were the barracks, which could garrison up to 59 men (including officers). At each end of the barracks were two more caponiers.
Yaverland battery was designed as a coastal defence battery, providing support to nearby Sandown Fort. Some of the guns were removed and replaced with searchlights as the role of the battery changed. During the Second World War Yaverland was reinstated as a battery with the installation of two 6-inch Mark VII guns. These remained in place until the end of the war. Later guns were added as coastal artillery practice, but in 1956, with the disbanding of Coastal Atrillery, all the guns were removed and Yaverland Battery was sold to a private buyer.
The barracks have been demolished but parts of the Carnot wall still survive and the two caponiers there are still visible. Yaverland Battery is now part of a holiday home site but recent excavation work by the owners has uncovered some excellent features, including some superbly preserved magazines and shell hoists.
Location: Isle of Wight
Date Of Visit: 07/06/09
Other Sites in the Area:
Exterior walls of the fort, this is number 2 gun emplacement.
6in gun emplacement.
Top of the shell hoist.
Shell hoist A1.
Shell hoist A2.
Looking into the shifting lobby.
The shifting lobby.
One of the doors to the cartridge store.